After a much-needed sleep, we woke up and made our way by bus to the Tube station at Hatton Cross on the Piccadilly Line. Thinking it wouldn't take long to get into the city, we opted to stand, a poor choice that we wouldn't fully realize for several more hours.
Our first stop was Hyde Park, the closest stop to Buckingham Palace. After coming out of the Tube station, we immediately saw a modern art display in honor of the long-standing relationship between Great Britain and New Zealand. One post commemorated the departure of the British Colonials, who would later return as the incredibly successful New Zealand All-Blacks (rugby). I couldn't resist shedding my shoe and sock for a koru photo.
Then we made our way down the Princess Diana Memorial Walk to Buckingham Palace. Pictures taken, sat at the Queen Victoria Memorial fountain, saw the guards. Yeah, yeah, yeah. It wasn't really what I was looking forward to, but it's on the list of things you have to do as a first-time London visitor.
The highlight was these crazy German dudes (I'm convinced that most crazy dudes I find in other countries are German):
We walked a few more blocks before realizing that we hadn't eaten lunch, so we stopped at one of the MANY Pret a Manger cafes for such healthy, organic sustenance. Odd that my first meal in England was entirely Italian, complete with buffalo mozzarella and proscuitto. (I miss Florence!) We sat at the fountain at Trafalgar Square for about 30 seconds, long enough for the wind to blow and get us (me) wet, so we retreated to the steps in front of the National Gallery.
something I would never do...
And the next must-see? Piccadilly Circus! We got more than we bargained for. Evidently, England had a FIFA World Cup qualifying game to play tonight, and the entire country of Croatia was in town for the soccer/football. There are no words, only images...
and singing... and video...
OK, I'LL UPLOAD LATER, BUT YOU GOTTA SEE/HEAR IT!!
From the way they were partying, we wondered if they had beaten England the night before. Then their singing included what would be the only English words: "Hey, England. We're sorry for tonight." Too bad the team wasn't able to make good on their promise with Croatia losing to England 5-1, allowing England into the finals in South Africa next summer. As Mom pointed out, they're probably too drunk to care by now.
After Piccadilly Circus, we backtracked to the National Gallery and went in. I hope my friend Scott (and my high school art history teacher Carla Thomas) is proud. I'm so glad we didn't pass up the opportunity to see Rembrandt's self-portraits at age 34 and 63, Di Vinci's The Leonardo Cartoon, Van Gogh's Sunflowers, Seurat's Bathers at Asnieres, Monet's Lilypond Bridge____, and a number of pieces from Cezanne, Botticelli, Michelangelo, Raphael, Van Dyck, Rubens, and others. It's not the Uffici, but I'm so glad we stopped.
Leaving Trafalgar Square, we walked up Whitehall to Big Ben and Parliament. I couldn't help but remember the immortal words of Clark W. Griswald as he was stuck in the round-about: "Hey kids...there's Parliament, Big Ben." And hours later: "Kids...Parliament, Big Ben." We were fortunate enough NOT to see the poor bicyclist he repeatedly ran over with the rental car. I'm interpreting that as a good prophecy for our upcoming car hire.
We walked across River Thames, and I asked Mom a foreboding question: "How are you feeling? Do you want to walk some more?" After a cheerful response, we were off the 2 miles or so to Shakespeare's Globe Theatre. (Passed Nando's on the way!) Unfortunately, tonight's show was already at full house (sold out).
We sat down, checked our map, and started walking towards Tower Bridge with plans to eat at M Manze, said to be London's oldest pie shop, established in 1902, with marble-topped tables and worn wooden benches. Along the way, we passed the Clink Prison Museum, famous for its medieval torture (Look! Turkey tracks!);
the Golden Hinde, Sir Francis Drake's 16th Century galleon;
Southwark Cathedral, the oldest gothic church in London (606 A.D.);
Westchester Palace from the 12th Century;
London Bridge; a Krispy Kreme shop (smelled it before we saw it); a familiar name;
and then Tower Bridge!
After way too many blocks, Mom and I agreed that we should eat somewhere else (translation: she pooped out). We decided to eat at Pommeler's Pub, a J. D. Wetherspoon Free House, in the shadows of Tower Bridge. She had cod fish and chips with peas. I had Beef and Abbot Ale pie with mash and veggies.
With our feet rested and our tummies full, we walked across Tower Bridge in search of a Tube station. Thank goodness we didn't have to stand long. I don't think Mom (or I) would have made it! Then a quick hop on the bus, and we were standing in front of our hotel. Unfortunately, on the other side of a tall fence in the median from our hotel. A little strategic planning and a lot of squeezing and grunting, and we were through! Showers, electrical equipment charging, and now we're off to bed.
Just kidding. I didn't sleep in the bath tub, but I could have. It was huge! Tomorrow will be an easier day... I hope.
























Well, I'm all for setting modest goals!
ReplyDeletePlease sign your name, so we will know which of our friends is making fun of us.
ReplyDeleteI started that post this morning while eating lunch in Trafalgar Square, but when I started to type the message, my lovely iPod wouldn't show me the keyboard to type.
Now waiting for dinner--beef and ale pie, fish and chips. Then back to the hotel
Congrats!
ReplyDelete