Where do I even begin! So much has happened since then!
We took the bus from the hotel to Heathrow's Terminal 2 where the Central Bus Station is located, bought our tickets for Oxford, and immediately boarded the bus that was getting ready to leave. About 80 minutes later, we were in Oxford, wondering how to get to Harcourt Hill. I remembered that we needed to switch to the local bus system to get there, but I had no idea where it was on a map.
We exited the bus at Headington Hill campus of Oxford Brookes, which is their main campus out of three. The third is Wheatley on the west end of town. The bus took us through downtown, turning on St. Agdate Street to Castle Road to New Road to Queen Street and turning left up the hill to Harcourt. If I didn't say it, only Chris and Elizabeth Ann would know that we got off the bus one stop too soon, and that the next driver who picked us up had to choke back a laugh. However, I must uphold the integrity of the blog, telling the bad with the good. (FYI: Today/Day 6 was really good!)
After arriving at Harcourt, I couldn't help but notice how secluded it was, far removed from the hustle and bustle of town, but yet not that far away. We picked up our keys to Scott House, met Peter (my host for the weekend), and got settled in. Peter set me up on his email account, but that was short-lasted since I wasn't able to return later to respond to emails for hours like I usually do on these trips. Plus we were starving! We would later learn that the best food in Oxford was at the bus station. We ate lunch in the Harcourt Hill refrectory.
We made our way downtown on the Brookes Bus, walked around the streets of downtown, saw the churches, schools of Oxford, etc., for at least 4 hours. I stayed on the phone with Wachovia for more than 45 minutes while they argued with each other about why I couldn't use my ATM card abroad. It wouldn't be until 20 minutes on the phone the following day that it would finally be resolved. And then again 2 days later when it stopped working.
We got back to campus just after dark and immediately fell asleep. And that was our easy day to recover from London the day before!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment